Collectively is headed to Alt SF! We've lived vicariously through Twitter feeds and Instagrams during past Alt events, and can't wait to experience all the energy and creativity of Alt in person. The fun starts tomorrow with sponsor dinners (we'll be at Incanto, with the Acura team!) and continues all day on Thursday.
In honor of Alt coming to our home city, we've put together a guide to one of our favorite streets--Valencia Street in the Mission. We may be biased--the Mission is our hood--but we think Valencia has some of the best shopping and food in the city...and we think you'll agree!
- Start at Four Barrel (375 Valencia) for coffee and a kouign amman (a French pastry--pronounced "queen" amman). Enjoy both in the outdoor parklet right outside.
- Nearby stores Voyager (365 Valencia) and Accident & Artifact (381 Valencia) are both worth a visit--Voyager features smartly-curated clothes and household products with a practical & sometimes minimalist slant. Accident & Artifact has an eclectic mix of modern and vintage objects.
- Walk down to Valencia and 16th, where BellJar (3187 16th) can be found right around the corner. Featuring women's wear from a collection of smaller designers, it's a great place to pick up a statement piece or two.
- Head back to Valencia and visit Monument Furniture (572 Valencia), a temple to all things mid-modern. Prices are steep but the pieces are immaculate & inspiring.
- Snack pitstop! On the next block you'll find Mission Cheese (736 Valencia), Dandelion Chocolate (740 Valencia), and modern pastry shop Craftsmen + Wolves (746 Valencia). You can't go wrong with a snack from any of these (all of these?).
- Get your fill of taxidermy and other oddities by visiting the famous Paxton Gate (824 Valencia) and don't miss the back of the shop featuring a greenhouse and a variety of unusual plants. Also consider hopping across the street for a visit to The Curiosity Shop (855 Valencia), home to great gifts and stationary for the folks back home.
- On the next block, stop by Afterlife Boutique (988 Valencia) for vintage pieces alongside contemporary wear from brands like Cheap Monday. A visit to Viracocha (998 Valencia) often features a live piano accompaniment while you browse a selection of vintage and local finds.
- Thirsty? Get a fresh squeezed juice at Sidewalk Juice (3287 21st Street), located around the corner. While you're at it, visit Gravel + Gold (3266 21st Street) for handmade pottery, jewelry, and heritage items.
- Keep heading down Valencia for a visit to old school Italian grocery Lucca's (1100 Valencia). You'll find a variety of traditional Italian ingredients and friendly counter staff. Just down the street is Love + Luxe (1169 Valencia)--a gallery of stunning handmade jewelry.
- Whew, good work! Time to end on a high note: enjoy a cocktail along with a dish of perfectly satisfying meatballs at Beretta (1199 Valencia).